Friday, December 11, 2009

The Dogs "Fed Up" 2001 release of 70's rare recordings


If asked what my favorite band is, I would have to say Boris. There isnt a thing they have done that I cant listen to. I have been doing my best to locate anything Boris has done, and in my search I found myself looking for a song they did on a Japanese tribute album for a band called The Dogs.

While I have been unable to locate the said tribute album for the Boris song, the search for the said album lead me to hearing the original recordings of this band I had yet to hear. The Dogs born into obscurity from the wake of the Amboy Dukes, The Stooges and MC5 in Detroit back in 1969, but wouldnt see their first release until the first single, "John Rock Roll Sinclair" was released in 1976.

The Dogs would record some singles, no formal full length album would be released during their 10 year career. Fast forward to 2001 and The Dogs would see Dionysus Records release the compilation record "Fed Up!" consisting of all their early recordings and some live tracks. The Dogs took this time to hit studio and deliver all new material for their first full length release in 34 years. 2007 would see the Japanese Dogs tribute which led me to the discovery of this seemingly lost nugget.

While the new recordings themselves are really good, which are more on the punk side of things since the 70's material, its the original recordings that I wish to discuss. I have been listening to this band for a short period of time, yet when I listen to the Fed Up compilation I hear these songs that are pure slabs of rock and roll the way it was meant to be. The Dogs play balls to the walls rock and roll that you would expect out of Detroit at that time and at times reminds me of Rocket From the Tombs, or is it the other way around?

The new material isnt anything to sneeze at either. in fact its some of the better "punk" rock being created probably since around 1984. But for the old recordings, they just have this timeless feel that is hard to find in a band. Honest and true rock and roll that wont disappoint including their cover of "Shakin all Over".

Derek Edward Kellington

http://www.myspace.com/thedetroitdogs

No comments:

Post a Comment